We have heard of people spending millions of dollars just to buy the guitars that were used by some of their musical stars from back in the day, like Eric Clapton. It could be quite a tricky affair buying vintage guitars if we know nothing about them, and that is the reason why in this article, we are going to discuss how to buy a vintage guitar, as written by an expert.
Educate thyself and buy from a reputable dealer
There is no way that a guitar collector can go for vintage guitars without going through dealers. Most people think that if they go through dealers, the chances of getting screwed are very high. The truth is that dealers are very knowledgeable on the vintage guitars, and it would be better to get from them, than from getting from Amazon, if you know nothing about guitars.
Beware of counterfeits
Most of the brands that people look for the most are often copied, modified, repaired, or have defects. You need to look out for counterfeits or defective instruments, since it could cost you a fortune trying to restore them.
Don’t expect to make a bundle flipping your investment
People would naturally expect the price of the vintage guitars to soar with time, but the truth is that their prices have gone down by more than 25% since 2008.
Understand the difference between buying a vintage guitar for its craft, or because it belonged to a celebrity
If you’re looking for memorabilia, then you should go for guitars that were owned by celebrities, and in this case, you should look for documentation to show that they were actually owned by the celebrities. In this case, the instruments could be worn or damaged but still be great memorabilia instruments. This, however, is completely different from collecting fine quality instruments by known manufacturers.
Just because it’s rare doesn’t make it a great instrument
Just because an instrument is rare, doesn’t mean that it is desirable, or make it have desirable features. The truth is that those one of a kind instruments were actually custom ordered by people, and you might not find the same features on a normal guitar.
Top Rated Over-Ear Headphone Reviews
Still on the topic of music, we are now going to review some of the top rated over ear headphones, as seen on vinyl vintage. These are a good way to listen to music, getting better quality of music than ear plug headphones.
Best Overall Pick: Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition
These closed stereo headphones produce accurate, linear sound with ambient noise attenuation for critical monitoring applications. Optimum impedance ensures universal compatibility, from home listening to studio monitoring. It is collapsible, meaning that it saves on space, while the ear cups can be rotated for comfortable wearing, even over long periods of time.
- Dynamic, closed-ear headphones. Weight w/o cable: 285 g
- Lightweight and comfortable, ergonomic design, Cord Length – 3.3 – 9.8 feet coiled
- Extended frequency response and warm, natural sound reproduction
- Around-the-ear design with padded ear cups – Dynamic, closed-ear headphones with up to 32 dB attenuation of outside sound
- Ear pads, headband padding, and audio cord are easily replaceable, ensuring long life
Best Mid-Range Pick: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
The HD 598 Special Edition headphones provide great sound quality and sheer comfort. The sound quality is natural, detailed, and balanced. The cushions provide the needed comfort even when worn over long periods. The premium components provide low voice distortion, while the E.A.R. technology, ‘Ergonomic Acoustic Refinement’ design channels audio directly into your ears producing a more ‘in room’ listening experience. They have excellent noice cancellation, and are made of excellent quality.
- Premium, audiophile-grade over-ear, open back headphones
- Padded leatherette headband and luxurious velour covered ear pads that are excellent for long listening periods
- Compatible with virtually every audio device including phones, tablets, computers and stereo components
- Two cable options (3 meters and 1.2 meters) included along with 3.5mm adapter plug. Jack plug – 6.3 mm
- 2-year limited warranty only when purchased from an authorized dealer.
Best Premium Pick: AKG Pro Audio K812PRO Superior Reference Headphone
The K812 superior reference headphones offer the purest and most natural sound possible. Designed for music professionals, these headphones let the users experience the smallest sonic details with the most accurate balance for mixing, mastering, as well as music production.
- Large 53 mm transducers
- Ultra-light voice coil for frequency response up to 54 KHz
- 36-ohm impedance
- Includes headphone stand
- The K812 provides the most precise and powerful experience possible
Best Budget Pick:
Sennheiser HD 202 II
These are closed, dynamic hi-fi stereo headphones, that offer the perfect insulation against ambient noise, and a deep bass response, making them the perfect choice for DJs. They feature removable ear cups, specially designed damping material that ensures a powerful bass response, and lightweight turbine diaphragms for low bass.
- Ideal for DJ’s and audio pros, total harmonic distortion (THD): <0.5%
- Very clean, deep bass response, jack plug 3.5/6.3 mm stereo
- Detachable ear cups for pro users
- 10-foot Y style cable, Frequency Range: 18Hz – 18kHz, impedance: 32 Ohm
- Wind-up belt clip for excess cable
Sony MDRZX110NC Noise – Canceling Headphones
These are the perfect noise cancelling headphones that feature a 12–22,000 Hz frequency response for pristine bass, mids, and treble. Their excellent battery life means that you can listen to music for up to 80 hours.
- Over-ear, noise-isolating headphones.
- Connectivity Technology: Wired
- 30mm Neodymium Driver
- Up to 80 hours of battery life
Bose SoundTrue Around-Ear Headphones II
Bose SoundTrue around-ear headphones II bring out deep, clear, and full of life music. They feature softly padded headbands, and memory foam to cushion around the ears. They are light and comfortable, and not to mention durable. They are compatible with all Apple devices, and you can even talk on your phone hands free.
- They are slimmer, and come with fresh, new colors
- Softly padded headband, memory-foam ear cushions
- Don’t have active noise cancelling technology
- SoundTrue headphones are not wireless
- Fold-flat ear cups and a matching carrying case ensures portability
- Inline mic/remote for select iPod, iPhone and iPad models
Skullcandy Hesh 2
These headphones come with supreme “Attacking Bass” experience that produces punchy and powerful bass, and warm and smooth vocals. An internal mic ensures that you can take calls with almost all smartphone brands.
- Memory foam ear pillows and ultra-durable flexible headband for added comfort
- Connectivity technology: Wired
- Supreme Sound delivers attacking bass, natural vocals, and precision highs
- A single button in-line remote with mic can take/make calls, play/pause music and cycle through tracks
- Sleek and simple design with detachable cable for easy storage and increased longevity
- Frequency response is 18 KHz – 20 KHz and 50mm driver
Edifier H650 Hi-Fi On-Ear Headphones
These headphones are of excellent build and quality, and feature a 3.5mm headphone jack as a connector making them compatible with any device with a headphone jack. They are lightweight and flexible.
- Large drivers for professional audio – 40mm high quality neodymium magnet driver for superb, clear sound
- Folds in half – Portable folding design and lightweight- perfect for travel
- Comfort all-day wearing – Soft leather ear-cup and adjustable headband for a comfortable listening experience
- Built to last – Extremely durable and flexible with reinforced stainless steel headband
- One-year warranty – 12-month manufacturer warranty in USA and Canada
These are the perfect headphones for mixing a recording, monitoring a bass line or just enjoying an MP3, since they deliver a wide frequency response and high dynamic range. They feature oval-shaped ear cups with high-resolution capsules, a single-sided cord to avoid tangling, a comfortable headband, and a 1/4″ adapter for the 1/8″ connector, making it compatible with all devices.
- Ultra-wide frequency response
These headphones are known for their high-level of comfort, featuring adjustable temporal pads to relieve pressure on the ears, lightweight, open-air cushions for hear-through sound, oxygen free copper voice coils and dynamic elements for a rich bass and a remarkably wide frequency response.
- Designed for deep bass performance
- Comfortable, secure fit with adjustable headband and multi-pivoting ear plates
- Two adjustable temporal-comfort zone pads shift the pressure and perfectly balance the ear plates on your ear
- Collapsible for maximum portability, includes carrying case
- Connector type: 1 x headphones (mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm)
We have looked at some of the things to look for when buying a vintage guitar, and then we went ahead to look at some of the best over-ear headphones that can be found on the market. The ball is now in your court to make you decide which one will work best for you.